top of page
Pink Sofa

Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ: Image

Is everything I tell you confidential?

The information that you share with me is private and confidential. However, there are certain conditions when disclosure of information may be needed.

-As a Registered Psychologist, I am under legal and ethical obligation to inform appropriate individuals if you are a danger to yourself or others, or if child and/or elderly abuse is suspected.

-If I am subpoenaed by a judge to discuss and/or release your information, I am required by law to discuss and/or release information.

How long does each therapy session take?

Appointments last 50 minutes.

How much do you charge?

Individual counselling is $235 for each session (each session is 50-minutes in length).

Do you have a cancellation policy?

You must cancel your appointment at least 48 hours before your appointment, except in cases of emergencies and/or illness. Otherwise, you will be charged for the full fee.

What is the difference between a Psychologist and a Counsellor?

This is a common question. To start, the term "psychologist" is a legally protected term. Only professionals who have the proper credentials are allowed to call themselves a "psychologist." The College of Psychologists of BC (CPBC) oversees the registration of psychologists. Only those who have had the appropriate training are allowed to use the term "Registered Psychologist."

To become a psychologist, a person must complete a doctoral level degree, which on average involves four to seven years of graduate-level training, including a full-time, year-long internship. Following completion of their degree, to become a registered psychologist in BC, a person then has to complete several licensing exams.

The term "counsellor" is not a legally protected term, and anyone is allowed to label themselves as such. In BC, there are two common credentialing bodies for Registered Clinical Counsellors (RCCs) and Canadian Certified Counsellors (CCCs).

To become a counsellor, a person must complete a master's level degree, which typically involves two years of graduate-level training.

If you are curious if a person is a Registered Psychologist in BC, you can confirm this by looking them up here: 

If you are curious if a person is a registered or certified counsellor, you can confirm this by looking them up at one of the following two links:

bottom of page